Question of the Week: Trader Joe’s

Featured — By on January 24, 2012 5:08 am

Do you currently shop at Trader Joe’s? Would you shop at Trader Joe’s if it is successful in its bid to come to the Uptown area?

Tags: ,

1. Phil says:

For sure! The Wedge could use some healthy competition over their current monopoly on people living south of downtown in the Whittier & Stevens Square neighborhoods.

2. christina says:

I would welcome it! It would be nice to have a grocery store that is easy to walk to. I am weary of the traffic congestion it will bring to Lyndale though.

3. Mark says:

I do not support businesses that destroy the street scape of a neighborhood..

4. ML says:

I do not currently shop at Trader Joes because I don’t live anywhere near one. I would likely stop at the new one when it is convenient. If I happen to be living closer to that intersection than I do now, I would certainly stop there often when I need to grab something from the store. And it would be a convenient liquor store for me as well. It’s all about location for me.

5. Cacey says:

I would absolutely shop there! The Excelsior location is a little too far for consistent shopping for people living downtown and just south of there. I’m all for it!

6. CMO says:

I shop at the one on Excelsior now and would love to have one in Uptown too. I agree with traffic concerns, but most of that should be able to be addressed by traffic signal timing changes and/or the attition of a possible green arrow light. They need to figure out how to make it so the turn is happening at an intersection, not in the middle of the block like The Wedge. I think it would be a great addition though!

7. Kevin says:

Yep, love the one in St Louis Park! Can’t stand the drive out there from uptown though. Would love to have one that is walkable.

8. Kayleen says:

I would shop there weekly! Come!

9. Laura says:

I’d love it! I regularly go to the one on Excelsior because of their quality and pricing. One in Uptown mean I can walk/bike which is even better.

10. Anon says:

I do not shop there now because there are none within walking distance of where I live and several other options that are. I would love to shop there if one opened in uptown, but that would be a begrudging love if they tore down buildings to create a mere one story building with tons of surface parking.

11. I definitely would shop at Trader Joe’s that is in walking distance rather than having to get in a car like usual to go grocery shopping. The Rainbow would be a fine option in Uptown but the ownership has demonstrated that they are not concerned with the maintenance of the store or willing to spend money to renovate it despite its heavy foot traffic and sales.

12. Nick M. says:

Absolutely! An uptown location would be very desirable. Having one within biking/walking distance for the residents of uptown would be fantastic. That way we wouldn’t have to suffer through the traffic on HWY 7/Excelsior between the lakes

13. Rach says:

Absolutely! Best affordable wine selection out there. I personally would rather see national chains than vacancies. Especially a national chain that fits the yupster profile of Uptown.

14. Jon says:

As long as it is not single story low density.

15. Maxwell says:

I am surprised to see so much support of a Germany based grocer such as Trader Joe’s. Trader Joe’s is owned and operated by the same company that owns Aldis. It would be a crying shame to see them move into Uptown. Uptown is the one of the remaining epicenters for local business. It saddens me to see so many residents set aside the value of shopping at The Wedge, Kowalski’s or Lund’s, all of which are owned and operated locally, the value is knowing your hard earned dollars are being directly put back into the LOCAL economy helping support and create jobs. The resident of Uptown should band together to strengthen our LOCAL economy through the support of local business owned by LOCAL citizens. The face of Uptown will change for the worse by allowing Trader Joe’s to open.

16. Matty B says:

As others have said, heck yes. With the condition that it will not be the existing single-story, low-density proposal. That would be shameful to tear down the existing buildings for a parking lot. That is not forward thinking at all. 27th and Lyndale is an extension of the growing Lyn-Lake area and should be developed as such. We should demand AT LEAST 2 floors of residential above Trader Joe’s, with minimal surface parking area. They can build surface parking spaces equal to the number of apartment units they build above the store, the rest underground.

17. phillip says:

absolutely, bring it on

18. Emily Elmore says:

With 3+ stories of residential space above, I think it would be a great neighborhood benefit. That being said, I would love to see a local grocer that could compete with Trader Joe’s. TJ’s success is no accident.

19. Kellye says:

Not a fan. Even if Trader Joe’s had an underground parking garage like it does at its St. Paul location, the amount of traffic parking in the immediate area would increase substantially. Residents of Lowry Hill East and Whittier have enough trouble parking as it is. We already have The Wedge, Kowalski’s, Rainbow, and Lund’s, anyway, and the bus system allows for convenient shopping at Whole Foods and Target as well.

20. Erin says:

Definitely not especially if they tear down art materials like they intend to do.

21. Lalo says:

totally! Love trader joes! Love what it will do for the neighborhood, and really hoping it happens.