This gem of a photo is looking northwest from Lake Street just east of Holmes Avenue at where Lunds is located today. As many may know, before Lunds it was Hove’s. Russel Lund worked at Hove’s and eventually made it his own.
Running from upper left to lower right is Lake Street. Running from middle towards the upper right is the now-vacated Holmes Avenue.
A few things I noticed:
- The parking lot at far left does not extend all the way to Humboldt Avenue, as it does today. Instead, there are some houses and/or duplexes/tri-plexes.
- Hove’s entrance faces Lake Street, not adjacent its parking lot.
- There is a Standard Service station to the east of Hove’s, approximately where TCF Bank is located today. It is advertising “6 for 1.01″ and “Red Crown is 2 for 1″.
- Peas appear to be advertised at Hove’s for 14 cents.
- Hove’s had “Lowest Average Price Every Day” written across the storefront.