Featured, Hennepin-Lake, History — By Thatcher Imboden on December 31, 2012 7:54 am
This week’s rendition of Historic Photo of the Week takes a glance through the photo albums at where Holmes Avenue and Lake Street connect. Originally, Holmes Avenue continued north but was vacated. Over the years, the north side of Lake Street at Holmes was home to the Third Church of Christ Scientist, a parking lot, a gas station,a car wash, and today a retail building.
Lake Street and Holmes Avenue in early 1920s in Uptown Minneapolis
The word “Site” in the above photo is the northeast corner of Holmes Avenue and Lake Street. Hennepin Avenue is up and goes left-to-right, while Lake Street is on the right side of “Site” and runs up and down. The northeast corner in the early 1920s was empty because, as we understand it, the Third Church of Christ Scientist had rebuilt on the Lagoon side of the property and knocked down the previous building. In the 1920s, this lot was converted into a public parking lot provided by the business association.
Another view of Holmes Avenue and Lake Street, again believed to be from the early 1920s. Photo courtesy of the Minneapolis Public Schools
The Third Church of Christ Scientist was located in Uptown. This 1919 view is allegedly of 1400 West Lake Street, which is unlikely correct since that address is the building home to Stella’s and was constructed in 1914. According to our sources, the Third Church of Christ Scientist was first located on Lake Street at Holmes Avenue and later rebuilt facing Lagoon Avenue. For example, a Christian Science journal from 1910 references the church as Holmes Avenue and Lake Street. It is possible that this photo is not even of the building but presumably it is. Photo courtesy of Minnesota Historical Society
1943 view looking at NE corner of Holmes Avenue and Lake Street. This photo was from a series taken at this intersection with various people. Photo courtesy of Salem English Lutheran Church
This 1940 view of the northwest corner of Holmes Avenue and Lake Street shows the gas station that was there for many years. The white building is Hove’s grocery. Photo courtesy of City of Minneapolis.
Lake Street and Holmes avenue in 1970s in Uptown Minneapolis. Photo courtesy of Mrs. Snyder
Some may remember that prior to becoming a retail building, there was a car wash at Holmes Avenue and Lake Street. The retail building was built in 1980 by The Ackerberg Group.
This photo from the early 1990s shows the retail building constructed on the north side of Lake Street and Holmes Avenue. Photo courtesy of The Ackerberg Group.
Tags: Hennepin-Lake, Historic Photo of the Week, History
This 2012 view was shot to look similar to the 1970s view.