On this day in 1988, the Star Tribune reported that the Two Pesos Mexican restaurants was close to an agreement with a local businessman to open restaurants in the Twin Cities. At the time, the quick-service Houston-based Two Pesos had 27 locations with none in the Twin Cities. The first location was announced to be opening in Uptown Minneapolis in the fall of 1988.
According to the article, a plate of tortilla chips was $0.69, margaritas were $0.99, and a fajita platter was $10.95, though most of their dishes were between $3.00 and $4.00.
The business would eventually open at 1320 West Lake Street, which later would house Campiello and Cowboy Slims before the building was demolished for the Walkway building.